Saturday, 4 January 2014

2014-01-04 - Craig - Front squats, Step-ups

12-9-6
Front squats
Step-ups
Rest 3:00
Repeat



Sporting my snazzy new "Unbuyable" shirt courtesy of Essie.
Didn't help with the WOD.

http://youtu.be/aHZArWZ6c1E

12-9-6
20kg Front squats to 18" box
18" box step-ups
Rest 3:00
Repeat


  1. Front squats
    • This was about fighting for shoulder/arm position.
      Knees and hips were all over the place I know, sorry.
    • I have been working on the rack position (finding this https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152120367044668 most effective)and have discovered that I'm quite capable of a full ROM, with some effort so still flexibility issues, but that I habitually push my shoulders forward and hang the weight off extended and rounded shoulders.
      Obviously that doesn't work too well and quite frankly, bloody hurts.
    • I don't know how I learned that, but it's bloody hard to avoid doing even unweighted and under any load is a true effort in concentration.
      Which is why a lot of the faces.
    • When I get my shoulders back, holding bar in place and keeping my elbows reasonably well up ( flexibility) is easy.
      The effort goes away and the bar doesn't feel lie it's about to drop off mu shoulders.
    • I find this with a lot of things, I've learned to move in what superficially looks like approximately the right way but using weird combinations of muscles. I suspect I'm stronger than I have been capable of so far, I'm not able to bring the force to bear through the daft way I've taught myself to move.
    • Anyway, I'm happy with what I learned from this, even if it was frustrating. Stuff to explore and work on.
      Very valuable.
  2. Step-ups
    • Left hamstrings and glute not firing and that knee took a hit.
    • I'll work on that.
Overall
  • Not pretty, but as I said, very valuable so quite happy.
  • Kids next door are a bit of a menace. While the munchkin  is visiting I'm OK with hem coming over to play, but otherwise they're a bit of a risk, both to themselves and our property.

No comments: