800 ml water
1.5 kg sugar
2.5 teaspoons (12.5ml) cream of tartar
2.25 tablespoons (40ml) lemon juice
4 cups of plain flour, - 8 tbalespoons of flour, + 8 tablespons of cornflour, equiv to 4 cups (250ml) cake flour
1.5 tablespoons (25ml) baking powder
1 tablespoon (20ml) margarine
1/2 large beaten egg
- Place the water, sugar and cream of tartar in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Once the syrup starts to boil, add the lemon juice and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Place the syrup in the fridge to cool.
- Put the flour and baking powder together in a food processor.
- Blend in the butter.
- Add the beaten ½ egg to the water and whisk to incorporate.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture.
Pour in the water mixture and then start to mix until a smooth dough has formed.
Cover with clingfilm and leave to rest for at least 15 minutes or up to 5 hours.
- Heat the oil to 160 °C.
- Using an oiled rolling pin, roll out the dough on an oiled surface to a thickness of 5 mm.
Cut the dough into rectangles of 6 x 15 cm
Cut each rectangle lengthways into 3 strips, leaving one side uncut.
Plait the 3 strips and press the cut ends together firmly.
- Fry in batches of 6 in the hot oil for 6–7 minutes, or until dark golden brown.
Drain them for a few seconds on paper towels.
Keep the rest of the koeksisters covered to prevent them from drying out.
- Dip the koeksisters into the ice-cold syrup while they are still hot.
Remove from the syrup with a slotted spoon and place on a wire rack.