Tuesday, 7 September 2010

Skorpion Quadlines

My Skorpion Quadlines arrived yesterday.

Opened up all the way they fit if I wear round toed shoes like my KSwiss Samba lookalikes.

You'll notice there's no video of me gleefully zipping up and down the driveway on them. that's because
a) It was raining
b) I can barely stand up in them.

The bearings in them are amazingly smooth, flick a wheel and it runs for nearly 10 seconds, so there's no resistance to any slight imbalance in weight distribution to hold them steady. As a result my feet wobble back and forth just like they did when I first got onboard a pair of skates. I thought the bearings on my rollerblades were pretty good, these are amazing.
These things are going to be fast! And as I'm not that good a skater, that could be a problem.

They're very well made. All plastic, but plastic for lightness and not at all flimsy.

I went looking for some in the U.S at stores that were supposed to stock them, but couldn't find them. Then when I was looking around for them when I got back home I found references to them being a kiwi invention. And they are.
So I got in touch with the owner of the company based in Hamilton and he got me a pair from a small batch he was bringing in.

They're much more stable than roller blades, turn like quads, don't get blocked by small stones and cracks like quads would and put you closer to the ground than quadlines would. And you can wear your ordinary shoes to the skate path, carry these in a backpack and not have to lug booted skates around.

Very very impressed. I hope I can learn to use them!
Mission bay and the track at Botany as soon as the weather (and time I guess) allows. Anyone know any other places to skate around Auckland?

No comments: