Sunday, 16 May 2010

RatZapper 1, Rat 0

We'd been hearing scrabbling and gnawing noises in what sounded like our bedroom ceiling and wall for some months and wondered if perhaps it was birds on the roof hopping about. More and more though I was convinced we had rodents.
So, being me, did I buy a bunch of $2 mouse traps?
No.
I researched rodent trapping and found a high-tech rat trap for NZ$100.
A Rat Zapper, or http://www.ratzapper.com if you're in the US.


So I got it. And the optional remote trigger alert.



I baited it with peanut butter and nuts put it up in the ceiling with the tell-tale alert thing hanging through the access hatch. Nothing happened for a few weeks until this morning Lynette asked me what the blinking lights were in the ceiling. The little fake mouse' eyes were blinking which meant the trap had triggered.

I'd almost written the thing off as a waste of money or at least decided that I hadn't placed it properly.

But in it I found a nicely dead decent sized rat. Tipped it out in to the compost heap.
Put the trap back up in the ceiling, ready to catch rat #2.

Very cool gadget and very effective.
You can see it in action in this video from the site.

No comments: