Friday, 26 June 2009

Nancy

Nancy
1730 CFNZ WOD

5RFT
400m
15 x 20kg OHS

15:56

400m; About as good as I expected, i.e. pretty sucky. I didn't quite degenerate to a plod, stayed off my heels and didn't walk, but my stride was short and I was planting my foot in front of my hips. I did take an unseemly delight in actually passing Michelle on one lap. I'm like a foot taller than her, legs twice as long as hers and I just pass her on one lap. Yay me!
OHS; I tried 30kg before the WOD and dropped back to 20. As with other things recently. although the leg strength was there, I'm not able to stabilise the weight overhead without a lot of conscious effort and I knew that wasn't gonna happen during the WOD. I really struggled to pin my shoulder blades back, I just couldn't engage the scapular retractors, so I'd sand there with the bar overhead more or less randomly contracting muscles back there until I'd get the ones I wanted to fire. With my shoulder blades back the OHS was easy.
So 40kg would have been quite doable if I could get everything tight, but I couldn't rely on that, hence 20kg.
During the WOD Darren pulled me up for the same thing Jeff did, holding the bar too far behind me at the top. Jeff didn't get time to watch me OHS during a WOD or I'm sure I would have nailed it then, but with Darren watching and telling me when I was doing it (always my problem, establishing when I'm doing things wrong and right in the heat of the moment so I can establish a memory of what the correct groove feels like) I got it. To me it almost feels like I have to hold the bar forward and assume a hollow position to get everything to line up. That tallies with the way I've seem myself stand in videos, so I think, maybe, I might have it.

Then because I was there, Darren got to do the WOD and I ran the 1830 class. I'm very pleased when I can do that. I know how hard it is for trainers to have time to train, so if I can give them an opportunity to jump in with the class that makes me feel very good. It's like a vote of confidence? It tells me that Darren trusts me to coach him, which is a great confidence booster.

Unfortunately I couldn't actually find anything to correct him on damnit. :-) Darren's dislocated shoulder makes OHS a challenge and while I saw his left shoulder getting a bit loose in the last 2 rounds it was only the difference between being completely solid and slightly relaxed. Other than that his form was impeccable.

Afterwards dinner at Lone Star with Lynette. A very nice benefit to training at the same gym and the boy being out at a party.

No comments: