Friday, 10 April 2009

Australiasian qualifier workout, scaled!

WOD at CFNZ.
Workout #1 from the Australasian qualifier.
3RFT
10 C&J 40kg
15 Ring dips
20 KB swings 24kg
15 minute cap

I messed up the timing and stopped after 2 rounds and the C&Js at 10:30
I had my watch set to count down the cap, but I though Tamaryn was saying my group only had 40 seconds to go and I figured I'd messed up the watch somewhere along the line and pulled the pin. I might have made it if I'd kept going.

C&J. 40kg was the women's weight and about right I thought. Heavy enough that I couldn't muscle the weight up, light enough to let me keep the pace up. I could have improved my cycle time by thrustering out of the power cleans, but decided to follow Jeff's rules and make it two distinct movements. When I have my C&Js as tidy as I want them I'll take liberties. I didn't hurt my back on the jerks! First time in ages. 50kg seems to be the danger point, below that I'm safe even when I get tired.
Dips. I had to go to using a band. I haven't done them in so long and they were never a strong point, I knew they'd be the sticking point. The time cap was my decider to go to the lightest band for assistance and it was the right move. I should have done it earlier is all.
KB swings. I ah let my ego get away with me. I planned to use the women's weight (16kg) there too, but when Tamaryn said that head height swings were OK I didn't struggle to secure a popular 16kg KB and grabbed one of the several 24kgs that were not being used. I was OK with them, but I should have gone 16kg and full overhead swings. Lesson learned.

Fun. Wish I'd trusted my watch though and come closer to finishing.

Not sure the birthday deadlifts were the best prep for this. :-)

No comments: