Monday, 1 November 2010

Back Squats

3 x 75kg
20 x 40kg

Having established from Rips DVD and book where the bar should rest, I brought my hands in much narrower than I had in the past. And interestingly it didn't hurt my shoulder any more than the wide grip, in fact it hurt less.
It did make it hard to get under the bar though, I had to really wedge myself in there, so I would up really locked into the bar. Nice and tight.
That made it easier to feel the arch Louie and Jeff talk about, although I lost it a few times. Practise will bed that in.
Videos shows me soft in the middle; Instead of leading with my hips and having my torso follow as a nice tight unit, I arch my lower back, ribcage and shoulders stay nice and sold and then I descend and the arch comes back to neutral. I want that midsection solid as I can get it in future.
Doing something odd as I ascend sometimes. I'm still not driving my knees back to initiate the hip drive consistently, nothing new there, but I'm throwing the bar back as I get to the top. may be the tighter bar position means I'm overdoing trying to keep into in place now. That might even out as I get things sorted out.

Overall pleased. And on a day after a week off with a shocking head cold when I wasn't planning to increase the weight over last time.

No comments: