Sunday, 20 September 2009

Biltong batch whatever

Not an enormous success, but not the disaster I thought it would be when I tested a piece partway through the drying process.

As I had discovered in the last batch that most of the flavour was from the vinegar, I left out the Worcester sauce and brown sugar altogether. This was also in an attempt to reduce the carb content.

I used:
Cheapest casserole steak, not even topside
Non-iodised salt
White pepper
Wine vinegar
Then after the marinade
Coriander
Cracked black pepper

My test piece was totally foul with an extremely strong vinegar flavour and I thought I'd ruined the batch. As it dried further the flavour mellowed and while not pleasant, the final product is at least edible.

It definitely needs the sweetness of the sugar and/or Worcester sauce to cut the vinegar's taste.
Now which one to tinker with next time?

The cut of meat was just too fatty too. A small puddle of fat actually dripped into the base of the dehydrator. Cost-cutting is good, but that was taking it just too far. Topside by choice I think.

No comments: