Saturday, 18 July 2009

Saturday - Cooking

Chilli in the slow cooker. Pumpkin pie and pumpkin muffins (made too much pumpkin pie filling so I bunged it in some muffin pans) in the oven. Beef jerky out of the dehydrator. About to cook some venison sausages for lunch and then probably nap.

The pumpkin pie recipe is an amalgamation of about 3 from the internet.
Predominantly this one. http://www.pumpkinpatchesandmore.org/pumpkinpie.php
I used the can of pumpkin filling Laura sent me at Christmas so I'm experimenting with making my own. I roasted a butternut squash in the oven (actually I over-roasted it slightly, so there's some yuck on the roasting pan that's going to take some elbow grease to remove), peeled the skin off and pureed it with the other ingredients using a stick blender. Got the roasting idea from this recipe http://tvnz.co.nz/content/1397026
I used (fake) maple syrup instead of brown sugar as per http://www.ecook.co.nz/index.php/ps_pagename/recipedetail/pi_recipeid/1379.
I had some of the pumpkin pie spice Laura sent left so that was covered....
Actually it was nothing like that recipe I first linked was it? :-)
Cheated and used frozen short pastry. No flour in the house so detaching it from the cutting board I rolled it out on was problematic.
The bits I've nibbled taste good

3 comments:

DougK said...

Venison sausage...mmmm. Naive question: Is that commercially available at NZ markets?

Craig Massey said...

Yes. It's not common, but it's far from hard to find. Deer farming is an industry here and the darn varmits breed like crazy in the wild. As an introduced species they did immense damage to our hill country in the South Island. Quality of the sausages varies enormously with manufacturer. These were quite good ones made by a butcher who wins prizes for his sausage making. He's not far from CFNZ and his products feature in the gym barbecues (which in NZ are basically a sausage sizzle with some steak on the side, not the southern style BBQ over there)

DougK said...

Sounds great. Around here venison suasuage is difficult to find in stores and then it is ridiculously expensive. Most deer or elk hunters have sausage in their freezers (mine included).