Tuesday, 9 June 2009

Darren's noodle-less pad thai recipe

I finally had a crack at Darren's recipe.

1/4 head of white cabbage, shredded
2 large carrots, grated
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
250g pork mince
2 TBS red curry paste
1/2 can coconut milk
1 TBS peanut or almond butter
handful of raw cashews
fresh coriander to taste
black pepper
splash of fish sauce, lime juice and sesame oil

Fry the mince, add the coconut milk, curry paste and peanut butter. Add cabbage carrot and pepper and heat through, Add cashews, fish sauce, sesame oil and lime to taste


Except I left out the coconut cream (forgot to buy it), the sesame oil (couldn’t find it in the supermarket) and the fish sauce (for some reason we were storing an almost empty bottle in our pantry and it wasn’t on the shopping list (angry), so really it was just the pork mince, veges and cashews stir fried with peanut butter and red curry paste. I have instructions to remember how I made this version so when I “mess it up”, ie make it according to the recipe, I know how to make it “properly” again.

I asked and Darren does like it hot, so I think it's always going to be a bit scaled. Lynette may be able to cope with as rx'ed, it will always be beyond me.

No comments: