Tuesday, 30 June 2009

Biltong/Jerky batch 4

Really close now.

Preparation

  • I used fast fry rump steak, cut back the sugar (left it out of several layers actually, I forgot) and upped the salt.
  • I also didn't bother with laying any coriander between the meat in the bowl to marinade, it all washes out when you slop the worcester sauce and vinegar on so I can't see the point.
  • I rubbed some dried coriander on the meat after I dried it out after the marinading step and liberally sprinkled cracked black pepper on, then pressed them in before slicing the meat into strips to put it in the dehydrator.

Results

  • Upping the salt was a mistake. The salt:sugar ratio was wrong the last time, but the fix was to drop the amount of sugar, not up the salt. It's wound up extremely salty.
  • I probably don't need to slice fast fry steak into strips before drying it, it's kind of hard and brittle. Some people like it that way, I like it a little moist.
  • Liberal application of cracked pepper is not good.
    Hot!

Next time

  • Less salt or a thicker cut of meat to offset the intensity of the extra salt. Probably the latter and keep slicing it.
  • Less cracked pepper!

No comments: