Tuesday, 7 April 2009

CFT

Squat 60kg,70kg,80kg PB
Press 40kg,50kg, 55kg
Deadlift 100kg,120kg,130kg PB

I went to CF NZ for the first of what I plan to be my regular Monday visits, and maybe more if I can work it in. Darren and especially Tamaryn were very tired after their weekend competing at the Australasian qualifiers. Poor Tamaryn was having a little trouble focussing before training and wilted fast once the WOD had finished. She held it together very well until then, lots of energy. Darren was a little muzzy at times but again, powered through when I would have been out on my feet. They're both incredible.

The workout was the CrossFit Total, which with my history of back problems and catastrophic injuries incurred while doing these exact movements had me rather nervous. I figured I'd hold back a bit and see how I went. I don't normally do the CFT because of those problems, lack of squat stands and because to some degree I have no real desire to measure 1RMs any more. What I found though is that A CFT done in a CF gym is fun! It has all the best elements of a local gym powerlifting contest only without the formality. I fell into loading and spotting because, well, it's what I do. I was also the technique model a few times which is probably the first that's happened. I pride myself on doing exercise with the best technique I can and in CrossFit, with so many new movements that have highlighted anatomical and functional deficiencies, that has been a real struggle for me. I guess I'm getting there.

Squats were my biggest fear. I said last night that I hadn't back squatted in years and that wasn't entirely correct, I'd forgotten one WOD where I cleaned, push pressed and then lowered the bar to do a back squat. Obviously with well less than my max squat weight. Aside from that my last back squats were the 100kg set that aggravated the disk I didn't know I'd ruptured and laid me out on the floor 20 odd years ago. Darren pointed out that I was pitching forward a bit too much because I was over-exaggerating the initial backward movement of my hips. I cannot tell you how good it was to have a knowledgeable coach telling me what I'm doing wrong as I do it! I corrected that and worked my way up to 80kg where I felt my knees starting to track in and called it quits. What was really interesting is that under load my tendency to swing my hips to one side diminished. As that was a huge contributor to my back problems that's extremely pleasing. I had real trouble getting my mid-section tight enough to control the weight as I walked out with the bar. It was fine when I started the squat, but the walk-out was worrying.
As a background, it took me over 2 years to build up to squatting 80kg when I started weight training (I said I wasn't strong) and this time out I hit it the first time I tried a back squat. That's a really interesting endorsement for CrossFit and air squats. I looked over at Lynette squatting at the women's rack and while she struggled with depth she had a really nice line through her back and her hips were tracking perfectly. She'll get her depth with work. Very pleased with her.

Presses were presses. The 50kg was a struggle and definitely all I could handle for the night. I can't see me repping 60kg any time soon.

Deadlifts were fun. Darren told me my hips came up first for a bit and then I corrected it, which tells me I was setting my hips too low at the start again. Oh well. 120kg felt good so I went for broke and tried 130kg. That went up fairly comfortably but my back was definitely rounding and I have a horrible suspicion I was craning my neck up. That was definitely my limit for the day. Lynette was easily pulling some of the heaviest deadlifts of the night on the ladies side. She hated the attention she was getting and that was part of the fun.

So my total was what? Actually I don't care.
I had a blast. I was one of the strongest lifters on the night but most of the guys there will power past me when they get their technique locked in. Lots of strength but an almost complete unfamiliarity with the lifts. When it comes to the metcons they will all leave me for dead. I had a great time watching them and helping with the loading meant Darren could concentrate a little more on coaching. I kept my mouth shut as much as possible, for now at least I want to be a face in the crowd there. If Darren or Tamaryn can make use of me to demo technique, good or bad, then that's great and enough so that I can feel like I'm contributing something. Hopefully I will find some way I can add some value to their operation in the future.

The feeling of community that they've built already is fantastic. There was a great vibe there last night, the resemblance to Brand X was striking. Darren and Tamaryn are doing a great job.

It was also fun to see the progress some of the athletes had made from the last time I was there. Louise has added muscle-ups to her repertoire, she's still working on eliminating her butt-wink though so I can feel marginally superior. And I'm still taller than her, although that doesn't sound any less pathetic now than it did last time I said it. And Karen(?) from Delish foods has packed on some noticeable muscle.

No comments: