Saturday, 23 August 2008

Runs, pull-ups, push-ups, situps, squats - Crossfit NZ workout

As is apparently an established tradition with us before visiting a Crossfit facility we had breakfast at Denny's, then barrelled off to Crossfit New Zealand in Panmure.

We met Darren and Tamaryn briefly before we started the warm-up and WOD they put on free every Saturday.

The workout was:
400m
80 pull-ups
400m
100 push-ups
400m
120 sit-ups
400m
140 squats

Done as a partner workout. One partner working at at time, all reps of each exercise to be completed before moving on.
Lynette and I were partners and we opted to do the runs as a 2 x 200m relay.

Our time was 25:19, the second slowest.


All my pull-ups were kipping and I set a PB of 17 (I counted 16, but I believe Lynette. Basic math skills disappear when I start training) on the first round. Lynette did jumping pull-ups and went to her knees for the push-ups.
Everyone else but Tamaryn (who joined in) did jumping pull-ups and were well into the sit-ups run by the time we finished our pull-ups.
I'm not terribly proud of my squats, I used way too much quad and nowhere near enough hamstring. I get faster turnover that way at the moment because I haven't got my hamstring strength up to where it should be yet, but I pay the price with sore knees the next day, or later the same day as it has turned out.
Lynette did really well, moving strongly all the way through.
A fun workout.

We had a nice talk with Darren and Tamaryn afterwards about how they set up, the problems they faced, finances, insurance, equipment etc. Their facility is small, but nicely set up.

They know what they're doing and have tons of enthusiasm. A very switched on and pleasant couple.

Tamaryn had to head off shortly after the WOD and after a while Alex (forgot his last name, sorry Alex) turned up. Alex is setting up Crossfit Auckland. He's not sure where yet, North Shore or City, but he's working through the process. We got change and said goodbye and headed over to the Albany Westfield mall.

Oh and Jeff, Darren was wearing Cargo shorts and a hoodie. No belt buckle I grant you, but we have an early bid for the unofficial uniform of NZ Crossfitters. Better get some Cargos before you come visiting. :-)

We had a nice day wandering around. Lynette got her nails done and I got a backrub. First one in a few weeks and somewhat painful. Lots of tight spots.
We watched a movie, "Wanted", very good! Much better than I expected.
Had a nice dinner at Bolero and came home.

No comments: