Saturday, 19 July 2008

First day

The plane flight was nowhere near the ordeal I remembered long distance flights to be. I slept for 2 hours at a time twice I think, helped by having got up at 0300 and going like crazy all day to get ready.


I was trying to get some sculptures finished to take over as presents, but didn't make it, so they'll be completed when I get back and mailed across. "Speed sculpting" is an interesting exercise in carving away the non-essential to focus on what you really need to capture. Shame it's so stressful.

LA is having a cool spell so it's just pleasantly warm here. We went for a couple of wanders to 7/11 stores near to the Motel 6 we're staying in. We also bought a pre-pay card for our unlocked NZ cellphone, so we have a US number to use. Lots of new junkfoood to try at the 7/11. I resisted some of it, gave in to others. I don't think it will be too hard to keep my falls from grace to a minimum as it makes me feel like crap to eat that stuff.

I did 30 burpees before we headed to Panda Express for dinner. I didn't like the food a lot, but I suspect that was partly due to poor choices. I got my first fortune cookie, something about "You have only just begun to live the life of success you will have". I'm tired, it's been a long day, details like that are hard to hang on to, stop picking on me. Are you supposed to eat the cookie part of fortune cookies? I have no idea, so didn't.

I did another 40 burpees poolside and then had a little swim while Lynette used the internet. We found out how to get the train station and after a myriad of top-ups, managed to print the various bus numbers and changes out.

I'm blogging this using up the extra credit.

Tomorrow we meet our first real live Brand Xer when Laura picks us up from the train station.
It will be to much to hope that the cool spell follows us to Ramona and it's been nice to have it here. The temperature isn't a big deal, the hardest part is getting used to it being light at 1950. Mid winter at home so it's dark at 1730.

Off to bed I think. Another big day tomorrow, and then it really gets tough when I submit myself to Jeff's tender mercies, although it's Andrea and her apparent desire to kill me with hill-sprints that really worries me.

The photo in this post is from this album, feel free to browse around.
http://picasaweb.google.com/metric.nz/Flight_over

3 comments:

TexasPatrick said...

Good move on not eating the fortune cookie. They are "edible". I'll leave it at that. At some restaurants they are okay but like flan, they just never rise above mediocre . . .

DougK said...

First fortune cookie. Wow. The fortunes are generally lame, so most people tag "in bed" to the end of the fortune to make it a bit more fun. (Hint: do this in your head first. They don't always work in your favor.)

Doug -- a.k.a canus_nerdus

TexasPatrick said...

I am not making this up: I once received a fortune from a fortune cookie that said, and I quote . . . wait for it . . . wait for it . . . "Beware of worthless wisdom." Swear to god, my irony was bruised for months after that . . . I dragged that fortune around for years before finally losing it . . .