Thursday, 28 February 2008

Skill day

Given the running theme of my grizzling about not being able to do double-unders, I put some time in to practising. I've hammered the "I can't do DUs" thing a bit hard lately, time to stop I think, it's going from fun to whiny.

I got a buddy-lee rope the other day and it certainly helps. The rope is very quick and doesn't take much muscle to get moving quickly. I played with lengths a bit. The measurement they give is a bit too long for me and I tied a few loose knots in it to try different lengths and might have gone a little too far.

I did get some double-unders, one at a time, no way they were going to lead to multiples so I backed off and worked on just settling in to the whole jump-rope thing. In the end I got a bit tired and it took me I don't know how many tries to get to 10 continuous single-unders.

It's just a matter of plugging away and getting more comfortable with jumping again, getting a feel for the position of the rope, getting my wrist action smooth, keeping my shoulders relaxed and down, my jumps light.

Should have done this more when I was a kid. Actually I should have done this when I was a kid, I don't remember ever jumping rope. Handstands too. Way too much time with my nose in a book.

The SDHP and ring dip workout tomorrow. Finally, ring dips without something that fries your triceps in there too! Had a little play with the kipping ring dips OPT was doing as I shut up the shed and they do help. Whether it will be enough for me to power out full-depth unassisted dips tomorrow will be interesting to see.

No comments: