Monday, 21 January 2008

Skill day

Played on my brand new abmat!
Part of the package of stuff Laura shipped me. I bought some bits and pieces and got them delivered to her house, then she put them in one box and shipped them off. Saved me heaps on shipping.
I got:
  • The Abmat
  • An official bought in Ramona Brand X "Fit Happens" T-shirt
  • A copy of "Starting Strength"
  • An Eva T calendar - she's right where I can see her at work
See?

God and genetics were very good to that woman, and then she worked bloody hard and got even better.






  • A can of pumpkin pie mix and a little bottle of pumpkin pie spice. Pumpkin pie basically doesn't exist in NZ and I was intrigued that you could buy the ingredients pretty much ready made.
  • Some really yummy peanut brittle. I'd never had that before either. If LauraR ever offers you any, take it!

Alright the abmat is deceptive. It feels like you're getting a good launch off it, but somewhere around the 15 rep mark it starts to bite like a bastard. Cool! What was absolutely brilliant was my back popping and click back into line, including some real big jolts as some knots I haven't been able to get out for quite a while popped back. My back feels easily a hundred times better than it did this morning. I've been hunched over and couldn't straighten up for a few weeks now. This is magic.
I'll see if it works every time or if I need to use the other back stretching tools I've developed sometimes and this other times.

2 comments:

TexasPatrick said...

Oh man, yeah, abmats merely postpone the pain. So instead of your back hurting from popping against the ground, you get a few more reps then your stomach starts really hating you.

I'm curious about the pumpkin pie though . . . why? Have you had it before?

Craig Massey said...

Nope.

I have to make a confession:
Hi, I'm Craig and I'm a foodaholic.

I love all kinds of food. I don't care if it's haute cuisine or takeaways, I love all trying all kinds of different flavours. Not doing much for teh waistline though. Sigh.

I've heard about Pumpkin Pie as an American thing and never tried it. I've always wanted to and now I can make a reasonable facsimile, even it isn't a patch on the real homemade version with proper pie pumpkins. Google tells me they're more like a squash in flavour and quite a lot sweeter than a normal pumpkin, which explains how they can work as a pie filing. Normal eating pumpkin is slightly sweet, but I couldn't visualise the taste as working in a pie
I've been instructed to wait until after my wife's 12 week bodybuilding bootcamp program finishes to make it.

I might have a crack at sweet potato pie at some stage too. I did some googling one day and found out what sweet potatos are and that we can get them here. The NZ sweet potato is called a kumara and there are several varieties, most of which are not the traditional kumara brought with the maori when they migrated here. They all originate in South America just as the North American versions do and that's the cause of some big time speculation about how widespread the travels of the ancient South American's were.