Monday, 13 August 2007

Bodhran

I told LauraR that I play bodhran in sessions at a couple of irish pubs, and after the explanation that bodhran is not a New Zealand drinking game, she asked me if I had any videos of my playing online. The fact that this dumbfounded me for several minutes is probably an indication of my age, it just hadn't occurred to me to do that.
I haven't taped a Session yet, but yesterday I sat down and put together a few minutes of me messing around on my own. I'll put it up here so anyone from Brand X who wants to find out what I sound like with my funny accent can watch it, I talk a little as an intro.
This not my best playing, by a loooong shot and there are two reasons for that:
  1. I haven't been practising much between Sessions.
  2. I've only had this bodhran for a couple of weeks and it's a much better instrument than I've had access to before. It was made for me in Christchurch, New Zealand, by Davy Stuart, a noted instrument maker in these parts with a sideline in bodhrans. That I still haven't clicked with this thing gives me great hope, because it normally takes me a couple of Sessions to figure out how to drive a new drum. This one is still frustrating me enormously after 5, so I know there's going to be a lot more I can do with it once I understand where the sounds are.
Normally I can move the tone around a lot more than you'll hear in the video. At this stage all you're going to hear is a lot of walloping.
Enough excuses, here it is.

No comments: