Tuesday, 28 April 2009

Lou's creation

Last night at CFNZ.
Members were invited to submit WODs for the last week in April, this was Lou's.

21-15-9
30kg Thrusters
Burpees
30kg Power Clean
Pushups
400m run.
25 minute Cap.

I hit the cap at 4 burpees in the 2nd round. I had thought I might only do 2 rounds before the class as I was a bit worried about hurting myself like last week. My knees have been pretty crunchy lately and thrusters have always aggravated that hugely in the past.

The thrusters felt pretty good. 30kg wasn't as heavy as it was last time I used it for thrusters and I had some hip pop and everything! Quite pleased with that. I forgot to rest with the weight overhead which hurt me a bit. I could have slogged my way a bit further than I did before putting the bar down. I'm not happy about having to break the sets, but didn't expect any different given my current lack of condition.
Burpees were the usual frustrating slog.
Cleans were cool because Darren watched me through some of them and I was finally able to know I was doing something wrong as I was doing it. Working off video I can't correlate "it felt like this" with "bending my arms too early" well at all, so I don't develop the kinaesthetic sense of what I should be doing to do a decent clean.
Push-ups after earlier burpees were a damn silly idea and a totally miserable experience. I did however discover that with my elbows pinched in real tight I get a feeling of elasticity out of the bottom of that my press-ups used to have when I was benching a lot. Apparently I don't keep my mid-section tight when I get tired and my hips sag. I didn't know, no-one to tell me normally, but it doesn't surprise me. When I get tired all I'm thinking about is some portion of my body touching the ground and then I struggle back up again.
The runs? Trots at best. It was nice not to be lifting stuff for a little while, but effing frustrating that I couldn't find the "go faster button" for my legs.

So far my knees don't feel any worse than before so I'm pretty happy that I'm on the right track to using my hamstrings in the trhusters. Not quite there yet, but it's coming.

Lou's comment on her creation was, "WORST. IDEA. EVER."

No comments: