Monday, 30 March 2009

HSPU

Minor progress, but a major breakthrough.

At my father-in-laws and playing around with handstands and headstands with a couple of the nieces, with the other "grown-ups" watching. I helped one of the kids with her handstands into a bridge and supported her extending that to a handspring or whatever the term is.

I proved once again that I can't do a HSPU or even a negative with my hands at normal handstand width. I very quickly reach a point where I'm completely unable to control my descent and freefall my way to the round. At my strongest after a lot of time practising handstands I managed to achieve a negative once and it was very very hard to control. At home that means my head hits concrete so the whole thing gets me very nervous and uptight. At my father-in-law's I'm doing it over grass so I wasn't so scared.
I played around a bit and found out how to get up into a supported handstand with my hands out at about twice shoulder width. That was also hard for me because I always plant my hands just a little outside my shoulder width when I lunge into a handstand and the concrete meant I wasn't inclined to experiment. With my hands out wide, achieved by kneeling down, planting my hands and then kicking up with my hands already in place, I was able to do a nice controlled negative that I would be able to do even on concrete, i.e. not slamming my head into the ground. I couldn't come back up but right now I haven't trained much for about a month, so that may change. Even if I can't I may have the toehold I need to make the jump from piked HSPU to full, albeit with a wide spacing. Over time I may be able to pull that in until I'm at the correct hand spacing, but even if I can't, at least I'd be be able to say I did the full exercise instead of a sub.
I managed 4 and on the 5th the rate of descent was increasing so I stopped and was very happy.

No comments: