Tuesday, 22 July 2008

Fourth day

It's been pointed out that a trend is developing in my descriptions of Brand Xers; They're all short. So from here on I'll stop talking about the people shorter than me.
So, umm we met Large Lefty and saw Sven again, and, then we came home.

It's not my fault everyone was shorter than me! I really don't think of myself as tall and it genuinely surprised me to find I was taller than people I'd been admiring so much for so long!

Anyway, on to the real post. :-)

I took Lynette with me to the Ramona Cafe for breakfast. This becomes important tomorrow, trust me.
Andrea picked us up again and we made it to Brand X in time to be late for a WOD Jeff had programmed especially for us. What a nice man!
Buy in
50 toes to bars.

21-15-9
Burpee box/tyre jumps
Burpee pullups

Cash out
2 min total L-sit

I did my burpee pull-ups under the high straight bar and ripped the skin off my right hand this time. At least my hands matched I guess.
Lynette struggled with L-sits and Jeff helped her scale the WOD. He was impressed that she kept plugging away and refusing to quit. It makes me so proud that she won't give in and always gives her best.

We wandered to K-mart again, and bought more stuff, again, while the trainers had their pre-cert meeting and rehearsal. We had lunch at the Nuevo Grill, scene of many a Friday night post-kenpo meal according to Laura. I think that meal completely turned around my opinion of mexican food. Here in NZ it's hard to find mexican food, it's just not common. What I'd had was not at all nice, what I had at Nuevo Grill was fantastic! I think mainly because it was fresh and not as stodgy as what was passed off as mexican cooking here.

While I was there I sprayed my ripped hands with New-Skin as recommended by Connor. My left hand was partly scabbed over and when I sprayed it first it stung pretty bad, but I could handle it. When I sprayed my right though, freshly torn, it hurt like crazy! I gritted my teeth and kept my lips tight while using every bad word I knew. Christ that stuff is painful! Thanks heaps Connor! Of course he was totally sympathetic when I told him about this. Yep, just like his dad. Laughed his head off.

Connor's a great guy by the way. Very strong and a great athlete as everyone knows from his WOD results. He's mad keen on Crossfit and for a start talked about the Crossfit Games almost constantly. Later he slowed down a little and I found out what a genuinely nice and caring person he is. Sorry to spoil your rep. Connnor, for me that's a good thing. I tried to follow him on one WOD but while I got tired he just kept motoring on and left me way for dead. He looks just like his Dad when he lifts heavy. Stick that bit of fluff that Jeff has on his chin and you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart in profile.

We got back to the gym to find the mats being cleaned. I'm sure it was no coincidence that it happened after I'd sweated huge puddles into them in the morning. I suspect an emergency call went out to the carpet cleaners after we left. Sven was there waiting for Jeff to turn up and we had a very nice chat getting to know him a little better. He's a total loon and again a super nice guy. Very much a big kid most of the time, but like Jeff, Dan and some others there, there's a strength of will and a hardness that is not far from the surface. The shaved head and tattoos just mean you don't have to stretch your imagination very far to see it. Or at least I assume it's shaved, maybe he's just bald? He did have a birthday recently and he's getting on a bit. :-)

Jeff and Sven did a workout that included the completely ridiculous roll-out and snatch combo. I mean it was just plain stoopid! Sven's idea as I recall and I hope he's suitably ashamed of himself.
From SS_and_DA
From SS_and_DA
From SS_and_DA


I think we met Tony (TMoney) that day. If not he was one of many people I missed mentioning meeting the day before. I'm sorry to all of you, it wasn't a deliberate omission. Jeff had Tony doing a workout comprising dragging a sled the length of the building and back, medicine ball cleans and one legged squats on a box. Sort of pistols, but without having the leg in front. Poor Tony came in after the first sled drag and told Jeff " I don't like you, you are not nice". Jeff and Sven were appropriately contrite. Yep, laughed and jeered all through the rest of the workout. Told you Connor took after his old man.

Jeff took Lynette and me through deadlifts and we learned how to do "angry gorilla backs" to set up correctly. Love that cue, works every time. Mikki came out and told Jeff "That's not your angry gorilla pose", and he had to show us the face that goes with it for the kids class. While Jeff went home to get cleaned up we did a workout to set the positions correctly, comprising runs and deadlifts. Hill sprints for me to make TP happy, which Andrea gleefully recorded
From BrandX
We watched the evening's classes and eventually stopped sweating.

Jeff and Mikki and the boys came back and we all went to the Kenrick's? sushi restaurant. It was supposed to be a chance to chat with Jeff and Mikki, but after answering a few questions about New Zealand we pretty much shut up because we discovered that after two beers the normally taciturn Mr Martin becomes extremely loquacious. And that he has such cool stories and is so funny! We were having such a good time listening we forgot to say anything. We felt guilty afterwards that we hadn't contributed more, but honestly Jeff and Mikki are fascinating to listen to. Oh, and that's where we first started to get to know not-worried-Mikki a little more, and she's great company too. That dry sense of humour really comes out when the frown stops. I hope that they didn't find us too boring because we had a fantastic evening. Loved the food too. I found out ahi is tuna and california rolls are big sushi and both taste really good!

We texted Laura to set up breakfast the next morning as it was obvious from her schedule we weren't going to see much of her any other way. Lynette and I are both in I.T. and understand all too well the schedule Laura has to live with. Having to do a lot of your work when everyone else isn't means for some anti-social hours.

No comments: