Saturday, 12 April 2008

Birthday 2008 part II

I trained in the morning (see previous post), then we walked to the train into Britomart, then bussed to Mission Bay.
Mission Bay was De Fontein a belgian beer cafe that also serves nice food. This time no attempt to be Zone compliant was made at all. Funnily enough I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I mean I liked it, but I had very quickly had enough of the beer and the mashed potatoes and the sausages and I found myself thinking I'd probably have enjoyed the salad more. That surprised me because I love mashed potatoes and I thought I really missed them and the first mouthful or two was really yummy, but I'd had about enough by then. Determined to push on, I finished everything and had chocolate mousse for dessert and wound up impossibly full. And drunk.
2.5 beers (I had part of Lynette's) and not even particularly strong beer and I was extremely dizzy and disoriented. I wanted to try the 3 fruit flavoured beers they had, having had the cherry flavoured last Kriek time I was there, so I got the raspberry flavoured Timmerman's Framboise first.

Lynette got the peach flavoured Timmerman's Peche

and only had about half of it. I moved onto the Belle-Vue Kriek and Lynette to the Hoegarden White. I liked the Hoegarden White best of all. Who'd have thunk that I'd lose my sweet tooth?

A blurry photo of Lynette and me.

Lynette looked stunning. She finally bought herself some clothes that fit, instead of the loose tent style things she normally gets and with the training and dieting she's been doing for her bodybuilding bootcamp she looked fabulous.

And one of Allan.

There was a TV playing C4, a predominantly music channel in the bar below and we couyld see it from our table, so Allan spent the whole time watching that and grunting at us. Why did he come with us again?


We managed to find the bus and the train and went to Sylvia park where I got a massage. My back was killing me all day I'm afraid.
The massage helped, but it was still pretty bad.

The plan then was to see a movie, but there was nothing we wanted to see on. I used to plan trips to the movies, carefully checking the timetables and I still do that if there's something we want to see, but if we don't have a particular movie we want to watch, just turning up and seeing what's going is a fun thin Lynette's introduced me to.

So we caught the train to Papakura, rented some videos and got fish and chips. We won't be having that again in a long time either, so I figured if we're going to blow the diet, may as well do it properly. Fortunately it wasn't fantastic. Again, nice enough, but nothing special. That's fortunate because if it had been I'd have wanted it again soon and fish and chip shops are everywhere here.

Taxi home and then I went to sleep watching the first video, then hobbled to bed like the broken old man I resembled.

No comments: